Saturday, April 10, 2004

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And the New Plan is working.

Both girls have been sleeping well at night, Carrie Anne has TWICE slept for 8+ hours, Allison usually averages around 5 1/2 - 6 and then goes right back down after her 4-a.m.-or-so feeding.

Of course this would all be fabulous for me if I weren't incredibly sick (yes, AGAIN with the head cold/sinus infection thing from hell) and behind on my work (horribly, horribly, they're-going-to-fire-me behind).

The crashing disappointment of the past two weeks has been the realization that these girls do not travel well. At all. They HATE the car. Which is a problem for me, since I spend long portions of my day in the car (dropping kids at school, picking kids up, making work-related deliveries and pick-ups). My choices are to take them with me and listen to them scream, or leave them home and let Brian listen to them scream. Yesterday Brian and I both went out on an expedition, and there was no leaving them behind to let the dogs listen to them scream, so we took them with us. And scream they did. They screamed in traffic. They screamed at the fancy-schmancy wine store. They screamed at our little picnic. They screamed in the car on the way to Costco. They screamed in Costco (where at least 5 different people came up to us and said "twins?" Um, no, we are two single parents with incredibly similar babies. Yes, TWINS you idiot). They screamed in the car on the way to Home Depot. They screamed in the parking lot of Home Depot. They screamed all the way home. Mind you, I was nursing them every chance I got in an attempt to quiet them down, and we were both doing our best to get them to nap, but the horrible truth is they WILL NOT NAP unless the circumstances are JUST SO. When we got home all four of us were a frayed and miserable bunch. Allison fell asleep as soon as I had her snuggled up to me on the couch, and Carrie, after a little bit of nursing, fell asleep as well. Today, I think we'll just stay home. I've got work to do anyway. And we have 400 cans of chicken noodle soup, 2 tons of diapers and an enormous carton of wipes, so there's really no need to leave the house for the next 6 months.

No comments: