Friday, September 17, 2004

Things to do in Austin When You're Dead

Things to do this weekend while not attending the ACL Fest or the Wilco/Calexico concert at Stubbs. Not that I’m upset or anything. Not that I’m missing an awesome line up of bands or anything. Not that I resent having five kids and not being able to just cruise the music scene or anything. Not at all. Oh my GOD, Wilco and Calexico at the same show. I’m fine, really:

1. Drink

It’s Friday night (well, okay, it’s 5:15 p.m.) and therefore it is TIME TO BREAK OUT THE WINE.

I don’t have much more to add to that, really.

2. Be nice to the in-laws

Brian’s mother is here visiting. She’s here to love up her grandbabies something fierce and then head on back to California until next month. It’s like heroin, she’s gotta have her fix. I completely understand; my children are irresistible.

3. Hug a Vet

Tomorrow we’re driving out to Kerrville to visit Brian’s great uncle Roy, who fought in World War II. This man was on the beach in France on D-Day, he was at the Battle of the Bulge, and he can tell you some stories. Amazing guy. Since Jack is a heavy duty World War II fan (seriously, my 6-year-old’s FAVORITE movie is Tora! Tora! Tora! and who doesn’t love a movie with three exclamation points?), I like bringing him over to see Roy. There aren’t many folks left who can tell you what it was like to slam into Gold Beach on June 6, 1944. There aren’t many who can give you a first person account of the Battle of the Bulge. Roy has a map, and I’m telling you people, it is the coolest map I have ever seen. It is both map and timeline, and it shows his progress through the war with his unit, starting at Gold Beach, and ending in…Belgium? I’ll have to get back to you on that. It’s a red line traced on a map of Europe, with dates and events pointed out along the way. It is a COOL MAP. I’m looking forward to seeing it again.

I never got to meet my grandfather, because he died when my mother was still a child. He’s really the only family member I can think of who fought in World War II. My father’s father was too old to fight in the war (my mother’s father was pushing it, really) and his children were all too young. I think that Roy may be the first person I’ve ever met, at least as an adult, who fought in the war.

4. Eat

Tonight: Hamburgers on the grill. Oranges stuffed with orange sherbet for dessert.
Tomorrow morning: Blueberry pancakes and bacon.
Tomorrow afternoon: Mamacita’s. It’s a restaurant. Without a webpage. You can probably imagine the menu, though.
Tomorrow night: Not sure. Taking suggestions.
Sunday morning: Krispy Kreme.


No comments: