Friday, November 15, 2002

Big day today -- I was on my own for the first time since the birth, having sent my anxious boyfriend, who didn't believe for a minute that I'd behave myself and stay in bed -- off to Houston to see his mother and grandmother (and no doubt collect some nice birthday presents). It went OK. I can't believe how long it's taking me to feel normal after this birth. I'm quite sure that after Eli was born I was shuttling Jack to and from daycare within a few days, and doing pretty well. Now I get shaky after heating up a bowl of soup. That was lunch, and had me worried about picking up the boys, etc., but everything went well. I picked up the boys -- Jack's teacher Carla helped me get everything downstairs and into the van -- and we headed off to Chili's, because there was no way I was going to be able to cook a meal for these kids. Of course, Jack fell asleep in the back of the van on the way home and I had to wake him up to come inside. Normally I would carry him in and upstairs, but there was no way I was going to be able to pick up a 40+ pound boy and carry him up a flight of stairs. Poor thing was so tired, he collapsed at the bottom of the stairs and said he couldn't make it to the top. But I threatened and cajoled him and he got himself to bed. Of course at that point he immediately perked up for stories, and then he held Javi while I put Eli in his crib (he climbed in). He was SO cute holding his little brother, who fell right asleep in his lap. These boys are just knocking me out, they are so affectionate with the baby. Every time he fusses they tell him, "it's OK, baby Javi!" Awwww. Quite the contrast to when Eli arrived on the scene and Jack pulled him off the couch! Anyway, both boys fell asleep within minutes and I came down here and got in bed. Javi's asleep now so I think I'll go do some last minute picking up around the house and then go to bed for good. I feel surprisingly OK, not wiped out like I was day before yesterday, so I guess I really am on the mend. Finally!

No comments: